Every true biker adores their helmets as much as they adore their bikes. Just like bikes need maintenance to keep looking good and performing well, helmets too need some care.
The least or the basic care that needs to be taken for your motorcycle helmets is to keep the outside or the inside of the helmet clean. All the helmets that are available in the market do not have removable interior liners by default. Those who have helmets with detachable interior lining, just need to detach the lining send it to dry cleaning or just use the laundry machine at delicate cycle. Branded manufacturers wiz Arai, HJC, Bell helmets, Hawk helmets etc mostly provide a guide regarding maintenance of the helmets.
For all those who do not have such removable liners, below you will find a step by step guide on how to clean your helmets at home.
• Things that will be needed for cleaning your helmet: 3 cotton washcloths, unscented bath soap or shampoo.
• Wipe the entire helmet with a dry washcloth.
• Remove all the removable parts like visor, cheek pads, breath guard etc from your helmet.
• Rinse your helmet with plain water to remove the excessive dust or dirt out.
• Now wet a washcloth and squeeze out the excessive moisture.
• Create a foam-covered lather on the washcloth using the unscented soap or shampoo.
• Now with circular motion, wipe down the outer layer of your helmet using the soapy washcloth.
• Now wipe the soap of with the second washcloth after making it wet and wringing the excess moisture.
• For the inner lining, gently massage the wet soapy washcloth over the linings. Try not to be too harsh or it may damage the linings.
• Rinse out all the soap thoroughly or you can also wipe it off using the wet washcloth.
• Now daub the inner liners with a dry washcloth to absorb the moisture. Do this till the inner linings are left damp. After that let the helmet dry naturally air dry.
For helmets that have special coating or have a shiny finish, automotive cleaning products should be used. But you should avoid using any form of petroleum based polishing products as these can cause deterioration in the helmet. These are just a few simple steps that can help you clean your motorcycle helmets easily.
More Automotive Motorcycle Articles